Did you know malunggay is our very own local superfood? This malunggay pesto recipe works well with with meat, fish, bread, or pasta if you want a healthy alternative to regular pesto. You can even use the leftover water from boiling the leaves as malunggay juice! Just add honey and ice.
Benefits of malunggay:
- Rich in vitamins A, B, and C
- Contains plenty of iron and minerals
- Can be used to treat liver ailments, joint pains, and headaches
- Believed to lower blood pressure
For 2 servings
- 2 cups, malunggay leaves (discard stems)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 8 pcs cashew nuts
- Salt to taste
- Boil 3 cups of water. When boiling, add of malunggay leaves and cook for 3 minutes. Pour into a strainer and let cool.
- Add malunggay and the rest of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth.
Recipe courtesy of Appetite Magazine